Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Hive of Excitement

Logging into Blogger this evening for the first time in too long, I was introduced to the new Blogger Play. Click that link- it is mesmerizing. It plays all the photos being downloaded onto public Blogger sites (like this one) at that very second. I still haven't seen any photos with kids as cute as mine. Speaking of cute kids, here is one looking not so cute. A mysterious, funky, itchy rash appeared on the backs of both the boys the beginning of last week. I wasn't too worried, thinking they just had a reaction to some sun lotion or something. The next day Wyatt broke out into red, swollen hives all over. A little freaked out by his puffed up innie-now-an-outie belly button and how itchy they were, I took him to his doc ASAP. Apparently hives, unless there is an obvious allergy, are hard to connect to a source. So it was a treat the itch and wait kind of thing. A little benedryl and hydrocortisone and they went away within two days. So for a couple days he had one rash on his back and another one over the rest of his body. The advantage to having more than three or four kids is that you become an unofficial pediatrician. I want to have more just so I can look at a kid covered in uniform red bumps with lightened centers and no other symptoms and know exactly what it is and how to treat it. Just this week I have been able to use some of my Dr. Mom knowledge. All four of us came down with a bad viral thing this week. It began with me feeling bad over the weekend. By Monday evening both Greg and Noah were burning fevers. Noah woke up okay and I put him in school to be called a couple hours later to pick him up because he was feverish again. Greg stayed home Tuesday and slept all day with a 103 fever. Wyatt was doing great (a house where everyone is horrible ill but the two year old is not a fun place to be) until today and he his temp got as high as 104. My Dr. Mom experience told me there was nothing to worry about because Greg and Wyatt are prone to really high fevers, sweating, no appetites etc and they get over it quick. Noah and I don't usually get fevers, we still eat just fine and we are sick for longer. So where the sickness began-with me- it is also ending. Moms don't get sick days- especially when everyone else is sick! The goose egg was another test two weeks ago. I'm still not clear on exactly what happened- it involved an encounter between Wyatt and a large, metal bucket before the sun came up one morning. He didn't cry long, seemed alert, enjoyed the ice I gave him, so I went back to bed for the last 15 minutes of dawn. I felt a little guilty when I got up and saw how big the bump had gotten- so I took a picture.
Enough of all that sick talk. I didn't do much blogging for Wyatt's b-day. I was planning on doing one whole blog just about him. Now I can't even think of what to say. I haven't even taken him for his two year check-up yet. He seems pretty normal. A little on the energetic and talkative side. If you haven't yet, read Christie's latest blog- it is hilarious and more entertaining than mine. But I can relate to the incessant talking while in the car, at the table, in the grocery store, playing cars, etc. I have an even more vocal 4 year old to throw into the mix. When Noah is talking Wyatt is either repeating him the best he can or just doing some noise to be louder. I can tell when Greg is spending too much time at the office because he comes home and wanders around trying to lower the volume of chatter and clutter in the house. The rest of the time he just adds to it. We celebrated Wyatt's b-day at Mama G's with little fan fair. I posted the best pics on Flickr. One of my recent favorites is the series I put together of his 'jump and spin' into the grass. One day he just decided it would be fun to do, it made Noah crack up laughing and that was enough for him to do it over and over. I think I will end with a great picture of Noah. I will try to be better at keeping up with the blog. I will agree with Christie that little boys seem to get all their energy by sucking it directly out of their parents. But someday we will be able to harness it to get the lawn mowed and dogs washed.

No comments: