What a crazy day we have had! Today was supposed to be Wyatt's 4 month check-up. He woke up this morning with a little fever, no other symptoms, so I gave him some Tylenol and just figured he had a little cold and it was a good thing we were already planning on going to the doctor. When we got to the doctor's office his fever was 103! This is super high for such a tiny baby so the doctor started running tests on him. The first thing she found was some fluid in his ears- not a full blown infection and too minor to warrant the high fever. When the RSV and Flu cultures came out negative we decided the next step should be to do a blood and urine test to test for bacterial infections, which is most often what babies Wyatt's age have when the fever is so high. They had to catheterize him, which was miserable for all of us. His bladder was empty to they couldn't get a sample. They gave him a shot similiar to penicillin (in both legs!) to cure any possible ear infections and it will also help fight most viruses. We were at the doctor's office for three hours. Wyatt was tired and feeling bad before the visit and by the end of it he was just rung- so was I. Nursing him was the only thing that calmed him. Two hours into it all, a lady Greg works with had to come rescue Noah and take him to Greg's office because Greg couldn't get away. Noah had a tramatic, no nap day too. We got back the blood test results around 8 this evening and everything looks good. There is no bacterial infection in the blood and his white blood cells seem to be strong and fighting whatever it is he has. For now we are monitoring his fever, giving him Tylenol and I am nursing him as much as possible. So far, all he really wants to do is sleep. I don't blame him after the rough day he has had. Tomorrow we go back. If the fever has broke and he is eating fine then it was probably some crazy virus that his body and the shot are fighting. If he still has a fever then we have to try to get a urine sample again and run more tests. I'm sure he will be fine- it is most likely he has a Flu strain that the test they did wasn't able to catch- that happens about 5% of the time. But I know I won't get much sleep tonight worrying about him and checking on him.
Otherwise he is a healthy boy. He weighed in at 14lbs 14oz and 25 inches long. My friend Christie had her little boy 5 days before Wyatt and they also had his 4 month check today. He is the exact same weight and length as Wyatt. Isn't that crazy? I will keep everyone posted on how all this pans out.
No comments:
Post a Comment