Friday, May 26, 2006

Viva Las Vegas!!

Greg had a convention in Vegas this past week. Since he was the only one from his company going I decided to tag along. We made a mini vacation out of it. Because of the convention and the CMA awards, all the good hotels near the convention were totally full so we had to stay in the Sahar- a complete dive. But we just avoided the room as much as we could and we all know that there is something to do 24 hours a day in Vegas! While Greg was doing business in the mornings and early afternoon, I spent my time reading by the pool, sleeping or hunting for sealable bags to but my breastmilk in (apparently this is a nearly impossible item to find within a 5 mile radius of the strip). Since we don't gamble or go to nudey shows, on Greg's free time we toured through every fancy hotel, all the cool swimming pools, ate at some incredible resturaunts and went to the Cirque de Soleil at the MGM Grand and a 3D Imax at the Luxor. The above picture is in the Conservatory of the Bellagio (I really hadn't been drinking even though I look totally woozy). They had an awesome exhibit of a really ellaborate HO train track combined with replicas of detailed historic buildings in American History made of all natural materials (bark, leaves, nuts) and a really amazing water display unlike anything I had seen before. In the picture to the right you can just barely make out two arched streams of water. In person they look like arches of glass or silicone and you only know they are water because every few minutes they stop- like the end of a rope being thrown across the room. It is hard to describe, but, to quote my dad, 'trust me' is was really fascinating. I took some pictures of the train and buildings but they just don't do it justice. At the convention we got to hear Steve Wynn speak. It was interesting, but I definitely did not find him profound or inspiring. He has made billions off man's innate desire to over-indulge in everything good and evil. In saying all that, his latest and greatest resort on the strip, The Wynn, is gorgeous! We attended a reception in one of the ballrooms overlooking the lush golf course complete with a huge water fall and towering pine trees. Definately a desert oasis. It was such a great break from the overpowering lights and sounds of Vegas. We walked barefoot in the grass and enjoyed the open bar and fancy finger foods. Greg did business too- some of the most valuable was at that reception. After writing so much about it, I guess I will include a picture (even though I look a little silly in it). Our last afternoon there Greg had no engagements and we had to check out of our dump so we spent four hours lounging beside the lazy river at the MGM Grand's pool. Of course we both fell asleep (in the shade) after three days of practically no sleep and miles of walking. Vegas is not my favorite place, but we had a really good time and it was the perfect break from the kids. By the end we were ready to get back to our comfortable, cozy home and sweet boys. Our house actually seems quiet and peaceful after Vegas. The boys had a great time with Mama G. She said they behaved wonderfully. Towards the end Wyatt started to get a little cranky. He was very excited to see us home Thursday morning and he nursed longer than he ever has. It felt really good to see him so happy after so many weeks of what seemed like constant crying and whining. I really think he needed a break from me just as much as I needed one from him. In fact, since we have been back I have noticed a dramatic change in him. He has a new found independence and does not need me by his side every second of the day. I swear his hair grew an inch in the three days we were gone and he now has 6 teeth! Yesterday morning he waved bye to Greg and he is saying 'dad'- only when Greg is around so I think he really knows what he is saying. Wyatt absolutely loves Greg. Noah, especially at Wyatt's age, was a always a little unsure of Greg and had to warm up to him everytime Greg wanted to spend time with him. Wyatt reaches for Greg, crawls after him, climbs on him in bed and smiles everytime he makes eye contact. Its great. Well, I think this entry is long enough. I will add new pictures of the boys soon! Everybody have a great holiday weekend.

No comments: